Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: thought on hierarchical branches

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: thought on hierarchical branches
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:16:30 -0700

Thomas Keller writes:
 > So, somebody proposed the syntax some.branch/Trunk to let "Trunk" be a
 > subbranch of "some.branch", so unless branch renaming will be available,
 > this will pretty much conflict.

I at least for one proposed this ages ago when there was a discussion
on branch naming.  The groups I've been working with have been using:

<uniquifier>/<projectname>/<subbranch>[/subsubbranch]; e.g.

usi.hpl.hp.com/monotone/perf-hack
usi.hpl.hp.com/ssd.Lintel/import  -- tracking an external CVS repository
usi.hpl.hp.com/ssd.Lintel/main
address@hidden/ssd.Lintel/test -- a personal branch not intended for others to
see

Recently I started dropping the /main and not always having a
subbranch.  It's worked fine for us, although we've been on
0.19+perf-hacks for a long time and just migrated to 0.28+perf-hacks.
        -Eric