Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:03:58 +0200

On Thursday 17 August 2006 13:34, Thomas Keller wrote:
> Well, I think I once thought about such a possibility myself and
> wondered if the introduction of "local" branches would be useful [...]

Real local/private branches would imho be really usefull in that they would
allow to commit partial stuff without immediately sharing that with the rest
of the world.

> I'm unsure if "real" subbranches, branches which are only visible if a
> user is inside a parent branch, can be implemented in any nice way,
> since I think this would bring in more complexity (code wise and user
> wise) than it would solve.

For merging anything from such private branch back to mainline, something
similar to the pluck functionality would be needed, otherwise 'private'
revisions would have to become public at that time.

Thomas M.

--
Thomas Moschny  <address@hidden>