Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:35:30 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 17 Aug 2006 05:40:24 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> > Honestly, I'm glad you didn't go there.  Even more honestly, I
njs> > *love* the current (lack of) structure in monotone, where the
njs> > branch hierarchy really only is a matter of naming convention.
njs> > If that can be kept, I'll keep addoring (sp?) monotone like I
njs> > do today.
njs>
njs> I'm not really sure why the freedom to choose your own
njs> punctuation is a really important freedom :-).

Hmm?  I'm talking semantics, not the lexical aspect.  Weren't you?

njs> Regardless, the current plan for making branch renaming, branch
njs> metadata, delegated permissions, removing the global name
njs> requirement, etc., all work, involves the scheme described on
njs> that wiki page -- which requires that branches have
njs> file-name-like names.  So you may want to speak up about that
njs> :-).

I find it confusing.  If this is about naming of administrative
("special"?) branches only, I honestly couldn't care less.  For all
that it's worth, the administrative branch for any branch could just
be the same name as the corresponding "normal" branch with something
special added, like a period (".net.venge.monotone", anyone?), but I
don't care too much, as long as the current structure for "normal"
branches isn't reworked too much.

Cheers,
Richard

-----