Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem with monotone 0.29

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem with monotone 0.29
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:33:51 -0700

On 8/27/06, Detlef Vollmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>    all kinds of features in the libc (locale (through iconv), NSS,
>    IDN, ...) require dynamic linking to load the appropriate external
>    code.
This is only true if some parts of the library used by monotone
use dynamic linking.

Yes, see, we know that monotone does use library features that (in
glibc) internally use dynamic linking.  In a previous message,
hostname -> IP address lookup and character set conversion were
mentioned.

(And I don't agree with the general statement of that page:
there are lot's of systems around where dynamic linking is not
available, and they work fine anyway.  But that's offtopic here.

Drepper is notorious for ignoring all systems other than Linux with
GNU libc.  What he says on that page is true *for that system*.

zw