Re: [Monotone-devel] automate stdio, really

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate stdio, really
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:48:14 -0500

Steven Grimm <address@hidden>  wrote:
> Perhaps it's worth revisiting this idea from Larry Hastings last year?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg01913.html

Since we're revisiting it, I want to point out Graydon's reply
regarding I/O formats:

His opening sentence states it well:

        "I understand your concern, but I think you're over-stating
        the problem (or failing to note the slow direction we're
        already moving in)."

He covers the problems of different formats in depth, and then closes
with:

        "I can tell you what my preference is, though: I'd prefer if
        the automate commands all pumped out basic_io stanzas. I'd
        prefer if you could send basic_io stanzas to monotone as
        command sequences (say, for monotone stdio). I'd prefer if all
        commands could be invoked via stdio. And I'd prefer, rather
        than per-command things like --brief, that we do what marcel
        suggested (and what, if you look, the ROADMAP file has listed
        for some time), and give lua hooks a chance to control output
        formatting in general, so that if you *don't* want basic_io,
        there's something simple and general you can do about it."

So, yes.  Converging on basic_io and stdio is the "basic" idea. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/