Re: [Monotone-devel] automate stdio, really

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate stdio, really
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:40:20 -0700

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:05:02PM +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> Ok, this is a taboo subject, but it imho raises the mtn-library and
> mtn-frontend(s) discussion again.

It's not a taboo discussion -- my argument downthread is basically,
the best way to get to a mtn-library/mtn-frontend split from where we
are now, is exactly what we're doing with automate.

No-one _objects_ to having a clean, safe, programmatic interface to
monotone.  But I don't think anyone wants to stop for 6 months and
rewrite everything to get there, either (and if we tried doing that,
we'd probably fail).  So the problem is how to get their
incrementally, and 'automate' does that.

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."