IMPORTANT Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug Hunt Day

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: IMPORTANT Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug Hunt Day
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:34:10 +0200

Am 30.04.2010 12:58, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>      http://doodle.com/f7wc8cqxz7d6kumx
>
> That's a nice tool. Amazing what is out there!
>
> I guess we'll need a mechanism for assigning bugs to people, so we don't
> duplicate efforts. That could be as simple as announcing "I'm working on
> bug x" on the chat line, but something with a little more accessible
> history would be nice, so someone joining late can tell what's already
> being worked.
>
> Is there an online editable wiki we can use?

Actually, there is a "Assigned to" field for each bug - so all you need
to have is a Savannah account and then request membership in the
monotone project, so I can add you to the list of devs.

> Or maybe an hourly email, with one person keeping track of who is
> working on what. Along with a current score of who has closed the most
> bugs, just to keep the competition going :).

I think I'll lax the competition a bit and also provide smaller prices
for those placed second and third ;) Wrt counts, I'll count the number
of assignments for each participant for all the closed bugs, but I'd
like to do that after the event happened, so we do not get distracted
with that in the meantime. After all everybody on the list can follow
other people's closing actions as well...

> Ah; we can post comments on the bug via the Savannah web page (if you
> have a Savannah account), or via email.

Comments in Savannah should be preferred here, so we have the original
report and the other communication at a central place. Remember that
older bugs haven't been sent to the devel list, so there is no (mail)
history for it there.

> That should be sufficient.
> Although that makes it hard to look for the next available bug; you have
> to view each one.
>
> Or we could just assign a range of bug numbers to each person a priori,
> but that's not likely to be very efficient.

I've just unassigned some of the older bugs so we have a "clean" start
here. I think the simplest way to go on is

 1) Pick a bug you like to work on and assign it to you
 2) _Only_ assign one bug you're currently working on, so you don't
    block others
 3) work it out, in a _separate_ branch, f.e.
        nvm.bugfest-2010.<bugid>-<yourlogin>
 4) close it and reference the revision id / branch again
    in the ticket

And btw... I'll give extra points to those working out feature requests
or fixing hard-to-fix bugs... so be warned, it might not pay off alone
to only work on the simple ones :)

Thomas.