sketch-devel

Re: GUI design of 0.7

From: Joel Biddier
Subject: Re: GUI design of 0.7
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:34:45 -0800

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

Terms:

When reading about "Panel" I got reminded of "Inspectors".
What I have liked a lot in NextStep was, that most
GUI's were designed having an inspector for the object that was selected.
The inspector was a panel that could be placed on the screen and stayed there
only changing it contents when you selected a different object.
To me this catches the nature of graphic objects with properties nicely.
Do you mean an properties panel (information only) or properties panel in which you can change the state of an object.

MDI vs. SDI

I never liked the CSDI nor the MDI-in-one-window, because
CSDI gives the disadvantages described and MDI-in-one-window seems
to make up for bad window managing. In Nextstep, the MDI actually worked; they let tools and inspectors
relate to the active window.
Actually the solutation put forward is close to the NextStep way
and I support it. I suggest looking at GnuStep and add a panel listing
the open documents, that can easily placed somewhere.
I'm rather neutral on this matter. Other than if you go MDI (Gimp style) open a blank window on start-up. This gives the impression of SDI. This impression will be lost when you close the window (or inadvertently close the toolbar) - it is then obvious it is MDI.

Graphic Design:

(The naming of the section could be improved I guess, because it about
finding a good method of organising the work bench.)

I think that the grouping in your examples is not too bad.
It started me thinking about the four icons for the foreground background settings.
They use quite some space and we could try to represent it smaller.
My Idea:
What about a small "panel" that display the situation of the currently selected object. (This can be an object or a layer, btw) Then the mouse (and the mouse wheel) could be used to drag the object up and down. The user experience can be improved in showing the real stack
situation. So if there are only three layers at this point, then we only
present three layers and not four like in the icons currently.

Property Panels:

        I agree that property panel window resizes should be avoided.
        In reference to the inspector model it might be interesting to think
        about representing the propteries of one object in one window
        with tabs and not having three windows which might not apply to all
        objects.
More power to the tab concept.

Well, lunch is over I'm out for the next 5 hours.

Have a good one!

--J