sketch-devel

Re: GUI design of 0.7

From: Valentin Ungureanu
Subject: Re: GUI design of 0.7
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:56:02 +0200

Joel Biddier wrote:

> [...]
> In this way we can put more buttons on the toolbar without all the ugliness.
>
> In the above, what I was trying to say is that I was also reconsidering
> my original thinking about the document window with a menu bar. There
> are good points on both sides. A blank document window (no menu bar) may
> not be bad (like Gimp - just the grid and rulers).
GIMP has a menubar at the top of each image window, it was added almost 2
years ago in the development version and is enabled by default in GIMP 2.0.
There is on option to turn it off in the preferences dialog.

> If we can use the
> "expanding" buttons, we can avoid the button clutter on the main
> toolbar, thus not needing a menu bar on the document window.
The GNOME HIG recommends the existence of a menubar that contains all
the available commands:

    The menubar is normally visible at all times and is always accessible
    from the keyboard, so make all the commands available in your
    application available on the menubar.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/menus.html#menus-menubar

The best place for such a menubar would be the document window since it
is the widest one (in most cases).