sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 1.0.8 patches

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 1.0.8 patches
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:33:41 -0400

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:37:28AM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Yaron Minsky wrote:

> > Also, Peter, about patch 211, you put UTF8 everywhere there is text,
> > including the armored PGP keys.  Does this add anything?  Or is it
> > just for uniformity?  And might there be any pitfalls of making
> > everything UTF8?
>
> For the index it's important, so the browsers send back the search query
> in UTF-8 too.  For instance you can now search for "Noèl" (that's an e
> with a gravis) on keyserver.noreply.org and get the real results.

This seems to work on pks servers whether they send UTF-8 or not.
For Noèl Koethe's keys, I can use ALT-h to generate è and get
back both 0x307D56ED and 0x0986B74D on keyserver.kjsl.com:11371.
This also works from the iso-8859-1 (assumed) search pages at
stinkfoot.org (using elinks and lynx, anyway), which returns UTF-8
results, and at dtype.org, which returns iso-8859-1 (assumed) results.

On noreply.org, I only get 0x307D56ED, however.  The links:

http://keyserver.noreply.org/pks/lookup?search=no%C3%A8l+koethe&fingerprint=on&op=index

http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=no%C3%A8l+koethe&fingerprint=on&op=index

> It prints some more, so there might be a bug where it splits the search
> string into wrong boundaries.

Specifically, do you mean the following?

http://keyserver.noreply.org/pks/lookup?search=no%C3%A8l&fingerprint=on&op=index
also returns keys with Noël (as the only form of "noel", such as
0x95C81C3C), while
http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=no%C3%A8l&fingerprint=on&op=index
says 13285 keys match the query.  (For comparison, searching for "noel"
on kjsl.com returns 136 pages (2976 lines) of output in lynx.)

> Being UTF8 shouldn't hurt for armored keys.  The armor uses ASCII chars
> < 128 which are the same in UTF8, ASCII, and ISO8859-1 (what it was
> previously).

Indeed, pks has been using UTF-8 for armored keys since it went in for
the index.html and index/vindex output.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/