sks-devel

Re: [pgp-keyserver-folk] Re: UTF-8/non-ASCII chars in keys (was Re: [Sks

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [pgp-keyserver-folk] Re: UTF-8/non-ASCII chars in keys (was Re: [Sks-devel] 1.0.8 patches)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:30:50 -0400

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:30:28AM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 03:44:49PM -0400, Jason Harris wrote:

> > Right now, there is one instance of Noèl and Köthe (same key) to
> > test UTF-8 searches with on hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371 .  Only keys
> > with new UTF-8 userids will be searchable by their correct (non-ASCII)
> > userid words, however, until I fully reload the database to fix the
> > existing (UTF-8) userids.  SKS will require a fix as well since its

> This seems to work well for me.  I am able to find Noèl Köthe with a
> UTF8 search.  Amusingly enough, if I intentionally use the wrong
> pre-UTF8 encoding, I get an older key of his...

I've done a little extra patching and am now pushing all keys through
hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371 again.  This leaves cruft in the worddb
like "no" and "the" for Noèl Köthe's keys but doesn't incur any
downtime in order to properly store userid words with UTF-8 or other
non-ASCII characters.

Until the reload is complete, users can resend keys with such userids
to hkp://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371 to "fix" them immediately.  Right now,
all "Gérald" keys (7, from ldap://keyserver.pgp.com) as well as sample
keys with the following UTF-8 userid words:

  M\xc3\xb6ller         0xA8F4C2FD
  B\xc3\xbcsch          0xF8209928
  G\xc3\xb6ran          0x4A8854E6
  Br\xc3\xa9fort        0xAE733A47
  M\xc3\xbcck           0x81813D6D
  Bostr\xc3\xb6m        0x039F188E
  Nienhüser             0xC6795F59

are available to test/confirm UTF-8 searching (via an HKP server).

Note that ASCII characters are lowercased for search purposes but
binary characters are currently not.  Thus, 'é' and 'É,' for
example, whether UTF-8 or old-style binary, are not interchangeable
in searches.

[later]
There are now 10 "Gérald" keys (pgp.com remains unsynchronized)
and a Vézina (recent biglumber entry) as well.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/