Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer wanted for RefTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer wanted for RefTeX
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:07:33 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-12-20) writes:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I am wondering how things would work on the Emacs side.  Do you have
>>> a mechanism in place that would occasionally also update the version
>>> of RefTeX in Emacs?
>>
>> Not yet.  But since RefTeX just consists of Elisp files, I don't think
>> this should be problematic.
>
> Another possibility would be to use Emacs' repository as the only
> place where RefTeX is being maintained.  But since it is not under the
> control of the AUCTeX project and not every AUCTeX developer should
> get commit privileges to all of Emacs this might not be the optimal
> solution.

Emacs' development time frames are simply too large to be comfortable:
we'd have to work on RefTeX in a branch most of the time, and I think
that it would feel better for most of those tempted to work on it to
have it placed with AUCTeX.  We will need to keep it in a separate
place (for one thing, it is assignment-clean like preview-latex, but
not all of AUCTeX, and we need to keep it that way).  And it might
make sense to distribute separate tarballs while we have no clue about
how well overriding builtin RefTeX versions (which have autoloads in
place) might work in practice.