Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer wanted for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Maintainer wanted for RefTeX
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:00:53 +0100

* David Kastrup (2006-12-26) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2006-12-25) writes:
>>
>>> I am not sure that importing is the right thing to do.  If I
>>> understand the CVS docs correctly, this produces a branch, but we'd
>>> rather want to have this added into HEAD.
>>
>> The Cederquist 1.11.13 I have here has this to say at the start of
>> chapter 13 on page 79:
>>
>> "Use the import command to create and update the vendor branch. When
>> you import a new file, the vendor branch is made the `head' revision,
>> so anyone that checks out a copy of the file gets that revision. When
>> a local modification is committed it is placed on the main trunk, and
>> made the `head' revision."
>
> Does not really tell the story about version numbers, though.

To be on the safe side, perhaps we could use `cvs add' and `cvs
commit'.  I'm not sure how to create a new module with these commands,
though.

I looked around a bit on Savannah and the emacs-wiki people have
multiple modules.  Looking at
<URL:http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/planner/planner.el?rev=1.2&root=emacs-wiki&view=log>
they seem to have done it with `cvs import' because there is a vendor
branch present.

Of course none of the above commands will give us the CVS history of
the files, so these approaches are meaningless anyway if we want to
preserve that information.  (I know we could just dump it into the log
entry when importing, but I find it more risky than letting the actual
repository files be copied by an admin.)

>>> With regard to releases: using the same kind of tags as for the
>>> rest of AUCTeX seems like a plan, but we should keep RefTeX out of
>>> the AUCTeX _distribution_ (tarballs, top Makefile etc) at first, I
>>> would think, even though we'll have it be a top-level subdirectory.
>>
>> Subdirectory?  I would have created it as a module, that means on the
>> same level as `auctex' in the CVS repo.
>
> Uh, do we have write access at that level?

If we don't have it, we'll have to ask the Savannah people to do it
for us.  But that shouldn't be a big obstacle.