Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: oddity with TeX-style-private ?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:57:28 +0800

Hello,
** Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> [2020-10-24 08:32:38 +0200]:

>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Since I have no clue what your directory structure is, I have no clue.
>> But customizing both TeX-style-{global,private} *and* TeX-style-path is
>> strange given that the latter's default value is built from the former.

>> Why setting any of them?  Why is ~/.emacs.d/auctex/style not fine for
>> private styles?  If I had some, I'd probably keep them in
>> ~/Repos/my-auctex-styles/ and simply use a symlink
>> ~/.emacs.d/auctex/style -> ~/Repos/my-auctex-styles/.

> I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the path setting,
> TeX-style-private.

>     1. First I use customize for the setting not setq or add-to-list.

>     2. I now recall that I tried out several settings and none of them
>        worked save the one I use currently.

>        a. If I don't set TeX-style-global (and restart emacs), then per
> default it is set to
>           Original value was
>           "/home/oub/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/style"
>           I could set a link, as you propose but I find links messy, and
>           don't see why I just can't set it to
>               "/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git/auctex/style"
>           Otherwise don't make it user configurable.
>           Be it as it may, even with the default setting, of
>           TeX-style-private is *ignored*

>        b. If I don't set TeX-style-path, then the default is
>           Its value is ("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
>           "/home/oub/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/style"
>           "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
>           "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style") and, again,
>           TeX-style-private is *ignored*.

>     3. The only solution to my problem is to set
>         '(TeX-style-path
>         '("/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git/auctex/style"
>         "auto" "style"
>        /home/oub/ALLES/emacs/site-lisp/auctex-private-style" ))

>        But then, why is TeX-style-private needed?

I only set 'TeX-auto-private' and 'TeX-style-private' and all seems to work
fine. I suspect that you "overconfigured" your Emacs and AUCTeX. Try from
bare minimal, without explicitly setting any TeX variables, then set them with
Custom interface and set only '-style-private' (and, may be, '-auto-private').

> I'd love to find the source of the problem, if you tell me how to debug
> this.

With Emacs I think (this is my experience) that the only way to "debug" is to
start from bare configuration and adding one thing after the other.

> Regards

> Uwe

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
A comment on schedules:
 Ok, how long will it take?
   For each manager involved in initial meetings add one month.
   For each manager who says "data flow analysis" add another month.
   For each unique end-user type add one month.
   For each unknown software package to be employed add two months.
   For each unknown hardware device add two months.
   For each 100 miles between developer and installation add one month.
   For each type of communication channel add one month.
   If an IBM mainframe shop is involved and you are working on a non-IBM
      system add 6 months.
   If an IBM mainframe shop is involved and you are working on an IBM
      system add 9 months.
Round up to the nearest half-year.
--Brad Sherman
By the way, ALL software projects are done by iterative prototyping.
Some companies call their prototypes "releases", that's all.