autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us

From: Mike Linksvayer
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:13:07 -0700

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 16:05, rhinokitty <address@hidden> wrote:
> This group has a good technical understanding of the threats to privacy,
> autonomy and freedom that many cloud based services pose, so a good thing to
> go after would be to show the most egregious abuses of such services.

Eh, I'm way more interested in systems that are built to technically,
or failing that, constitutionally, avoid abuses.

> The tech industry needs a better watchdog.  The EFF is awesome, but focuses
> on legislative work more than corporate accountability.  A perfect niche!

EFF does more than you think. They have a lot of relevant initiatives.
Just launched
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/when-companies-stand-their-users
in last few days.

Again, I'm way more interested in accountability through competitive
and better alternatives than through exposes and complaining. That's a
niche all right, a worthy one, but seems kinda uninteresting here.

Mike