autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us

From: Luis Villa
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:30:09 -0700

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Mike Linksvayer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> but how can we really
>> get more people onto this line of thinking and move this beyond a bunch of
>> blog posts, friends hanging out and watching ourselves in the mirror
>> becoming the cranky long bears we both admire and don't want to be ;)
>
> That last is an awesome quote!

+1 (sayeth someone awfully close to being one of the cranky long beards)

>> Call to action! Blat!
>
> The action is in building and deploying software. This list just has a
> limited role, and that's fine. There isn't much of a place for
> thinking about cloud, services, blah issues outside of the corporate
> buzzword bubble and informed by free software; I think that's valuable
> in itself. So yeah, blog posts and hanging out. So long as lots more
> people ape Evan and actually build faif stuff that federates.

I think I mostly agree with Mike here; blog posts and hanging out
don't by themselves solve the problem - building is needed - but you
still need some people thinking thoughts, and this group seems well
suited to that role; realistically, we're not in a good position to
actually whack out code.

If you want to move the needle a bit, one potential direction to go is
to become the Lifehacker or Make for autonomy-interested people:
regular blog posts on how to live a more autonomous lifestyle.
Document the middle ground between "be a digital hermit" or "step 1:
touch index.php step 2: emacs index.php&"  Give instructions that say
"to help your autonomy, install X, do Y, and then talk to your friends
via Z." Or could sometimes be "I installed X, did Y, and found that I
still needed Z, I hope some folks will start hacking on Z."

Luis