Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?

From: Radoslav Kolev
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:30:15 +0300

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> As Benjamin Henrion wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why you don't want to include it in your main
>> repo?
>
> There's at least a reason that it's not very generic: it covers only a
> small fraction of the OSes supported by AVRDUDE.

Well, I don't think we can do something about this. The sysfs/GPIO
subsystem is Linux specific.

> But the second (and more important) reason for why its priority
> regarding inclusion is rather low: documentation update is left as an
> exercise to the reader.  Of course, in practice, it means it's left as
> an exercise for the maintainer(s). :-(

I volunteer to write the documentation if this is the only issue
preventing the patch from inclusion.

> Besides, I wonder whether the --enable-gpio feature would better be
> auto-probed in configure.ac?

I don't know how it can be auto-probed for, because it targets
embedded Linux systems. And there the usual situation is you cross
compile, and the check needs to be if the target system has the
sysfs/GPIO support, not the build system (which most probably
doesn't).

Regards,
Rado