Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?

From: Peter Korsgaard
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 18:08:17 +0200

>>>>> "Joerg" == Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

 Joerg> Still, having the code in on a system that could otherwise support the
 Joerg> feature at all (*) would not hurt those who don't want to use it.  Am
 Joerg> I missing something?  It's common practice for AVRDUDE to include all
 Joerg> programmer handling code that would *potentially* be applicable for a
 Joerg> particular target system, without requiring the user to include or
 Joerg> exclude each of them by configure options (as, e.g. OpenOCD is doing).

 Joerg> (*) I'm not knowledgable enough about *which* Linux systems are
 Joerg> candidates for it.  Every Linux with a recent enough kernel?  (Which
 Joerg> one?)  Every Linux that has /sys/class/gpio around?  Something else?

In concept every Linux system with a gpio driver + sysfs
interface. Realisticly seen, this is fairly uncommon on a normal PC
system (but very common on embedded-style hw). It's a Linux specific
interface, but otherwise doesn't have any special system dependencies as
it's just normal file I/O, and doesn't add a lot of bloat.

I would say, enable by default for all (Linux) systems.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard