Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:37:17 +0200

As Radoslav Kolev wrote:

> I volunteer to write the documentation if this is the only issue
> preventing the patch from inclusion.

Let's say, it's the major item blocking it.

Please re-check the patch against the SVN version.  Some things in
avrdude.conf have been changed lately (like the programmer type being
a string rather than an ID now), I guess the patch needs to be
modified in order to adopt these changes.

Assuming the documentation is there, and the patch is a smooth
drop-in, I can promise to include it into the next release.  You might
also want to mention it in the NEWS file (which serves as a kind of
release notes document).

> > Besides, I wonder whether the --enable-gpio feature would better be
> > auto-probed in configure.ac?

> I don't know how it can be auto-probed for, because it targets
> embedded Linux systems.

OK, point taken.  In that case, users are forced to compiler their own
version anyway.  This detail wasn't clear to me before.

It's probably really a good idea to add a reference to a website in
the documentation then which explains the entire setup used in some
more detail than AVRDUDE's documentation could.

Btw., ac_cfg.h.in is not SVN-maintained.  It is automatically
generated by the autoconf stuff.