Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] manual and chicken4 infrastructure
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:41:39 +0900

Hello,

  As Elf pointed out, the 3.5.0 release was botched because too many
untested modifications were made to it. The current development
snapshot, 3.5.5 includes bug fixes for some of those issues, although
I am not convinced of the stability of srfi-18, and someone reported a
segmentation fault while building Chicken 3.4+ on x86_64
architecture. So 3.4.0 should be considered the last "stable" release
of the 3.x series, and the 3.5.x development snapshots will be used
for backporting features from 4.x until enough eggs are ported so that
we can retire the 3 branch altogether.

  As for why the 4.0.0 release was not on the releases page, the
excuse is that some infrastructure has to be updated on the Chicken
wiki server before 4.x tarballs can be generated automatically. The
main Chicken page does have a link to the 4.0.0 release tarball. I
have also added a link to it on the releases page, and I will post an
announcement on Freshmeat shortly.

   -Ivan