[Chicken-hackers] address@hidden: Re: 4.8.0 release?]

From: John Cowan
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] address@hidden: Re: 4.8.0 release?]
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 15:22:35 -0400

I accidentally sent this to Felix only.

--
Newbies always ask:                             John Cowan
  "Elements or attributes?                      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Which will serve me best?"                      address@hidden
  Those who know roar like lions;
  Wise hackers smile like tigers.                   --a tanka, or extended haiku
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] 4.8.0 release? Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:19:32 -0400 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.20 (2009-06-14)
Felix scripsit:

> If you haven't already: this is the chance to give it a final test
> before we wrap it up. Regardless of platform, no matter what OS.

On Cygwin, "make check" reports several problems.  I did exactly
the same build and test on Linux (Ubuntu Lucid on the CoLinux kernel
2.6.33.7-co-0.7.9) with no problems at all.  (I used 4.7.5 (rev 44c2f63)
as the boot chicken on Cygwin vs. 4.7.5 (rev 0e44970) on Linux.)

I get 23 instances of "[panic] nursery is too small - try higher setting
using the `-:s' option - execution terminated" in the Cygwin stderr log,
which I have attached.  I commented out the "set -e" in runtests.sh so
the whole test suite would run to completion.  There are no such panics
in the Linux stderr log.

I haven't tested exhaustively, but the first two panics result from
interpreter runs on apply-test.scm and library-test.scm.  If I add -:s2M
here and rerun csi with the same arguments, it runs much longer and then
I get the same error.

--
John Cowan    <address@hidden>     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter.

--- End Message ---