Re: [circle] Resumption of adwords

From: Peter Moulder
Subject: Re: [circle] Resumption of adwords
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:53:18 +1000

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:26:42AM +0100, Thomas Mangin wrote:

> (you want [...] without memory or cpu hug)

Network too.  Try `/stats' or `/stats --profile'.

(The given summary figure is a sum of data sent & received.  The
`direct recvfrom' item of `/stats --profile' represents amount received,
the rest are the components in sent data.  For more info, see the latest
changes to to circlelib/chat_commands.html (`cvs up' then
`/help /stats').)

Multiply by the cost of bandwidth and ask yourself how much your circle
use is worth to you or to new users.  I calculate that if I stay online
throughout the month and continue to use the same bandwidth that I have
in the 80 hrs I've been online this session then I'll use around 500MB
per month (350MB sent, 150MB received) (YMMV).

Jabber is said to use very roughly 1% of that amount, btw.
(Caveat: that's based on the jabber web site for server requirements,
http://www.jabber.org/admin/adminguide.html.)  What can we learn from
Jabber?  (For many people, the lesson will simply be to use jabber and
the web, instead of circle.)

Disabling gossip would very roughly halve the bandwidth use (probably
depending on how many people's gossip you trust, or how many ppl trust
your gossip).  Comments at the head of gossip.py indicate one way of
reducing the bandwidth use of gossip without drastic change to the
architecture.

pjm.