demo-schools-discuss

Re: [DS-discuss]conforming availability

From: Suraj Kumar
Subject: Re: [DS-discuss]conforming availability
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:48:50 +0530

Mohanakrishnan writes:
 >      Will be available for the meet if any on Saturday... but is
 > there any particular agenda... and Suraj, can I attend u'r weekend
 > classes at MIT... or is it only for the MIT-ians...

I  think  tom  OR  praveen   may  be  better  people  to  answer  this
question. <i>I'm just a messenger</i> ;/

 >      People at sankara are ready for the demo... only that the way
 > they want us to conduct it is a little amusing... they want something
 > "continue-ish" to take place, not just a days show... they ask me if we
 > are interested in helping them out by having weekend classes for atleast
 > sometime... and ask if it would be possible for us to set up their
 > network for linux... what ya say people...

wonderful. We should  setup a GNU/Linux network for  them so that they
get  the  confidence  that we  are  indeed  not  after any  gains  for
ourselves. Thats a major problem...  Most think we are after something
and thats why they keep looking down upon us.

mani are you already out of  station? If not, can you give your golden
ideas for this networking stuff?

 >      And one more thing that I would like to bring to the notice is
 > about Microsoft's latest plan to net colleges... take this one for a
 > sample...
 > A group of MS's academic promotions dept people came to my college the
 > other day... they gave a package which can make anybody fall for it...
 > it goes like this...
 > 1. the college has to enroll for a program called MS-campus program.
 > 2. the college has to pay an annual subscription of Rs.40000... for
 > which the college gets the following
 >      * books from MS press(they have promised a lot!)
 >      * Licensed s/w from the MS stable for all the machines
 >      * all students can use the s/w provided to the lab at their
 > homes too,   so they get the latest.

home too??  maybe  they heard us speak of 'using  the software at home
for learning'...   ;/ too  bad. They are  all around us,  watching our
conversations and  retaliating to  it by doing  such stuff...   we are
losing chance to convince people slowly... but if all this leads to M$
and others making free software we should all glad... ;)

   -Suraj "happy to see this list getting [re]active" Kumar
--
| Honesty of the mind leaves a legacy of fame;                     |