demo-schools-discuss

Re: [DS-discuss]Logos

From: Ramesh Pallikara
Subject: Re: [DS-discuss]Logos
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:05:50 +0530

as far as i can remember, Vytautas \"Vytzka\" Juodis wrote:

Hello, gentlemen,
definitely!  it  would rather  be nice if  you
find  some mythological
character that does not frighten children
away!   ;) My  personal
suggestion would be some sort of a bull-like /
gnu-like character that
symbolises the Free Software Movement and also
shows some connection
between education / learning related stuff and
freedom of computing
Ah, I usually like frightening mascots more, but if
we show it to children, then let it be.
maybe our frightening mascots could still be used for t-shirts, if not for the logo as such

Guys I have a friend of mine named Gokul who has
great knack of doing
animations and yeah is a fan GNU/linux.
Well, I guess Gokul is better artist than me then :).
(You'll understand what I mean when we compare).
A question to Rahul Sundaram - who on earth is Swan?
I'm sorry I've never heard about it.
A note about T-Shirts. Maybe it would be possible to
make football-like one, I mean of two colors (say,
green and orange? - I'm really sorry, but how's
officially called that orange-like color in your flag?

that'll be "saffron" color

I'm not from India, you see), numbers and *our* names

<just curious>
      btw , where r u from  ?????
</just curious>

on backs? It drives me crazy to imagine, that some
folk at some contest may be awarded with T-Shirt with
number 11 and name 'Vytzka' :P. Actually I don't know,wheather we'll be making
all the same T-Shirts, or few

actually i dont think that will be the case,
IMHO i think it(t-shirt) will be some kind of promo material that'll shout about GNU and Freedom maybe, Suraj can send us some links of earlier tshirt-stuff (i was actually waiting for better designs, so i didn't order one :-( ... but nothing else has turned out yet !!!!

maybe others can enlighten us more !!!!!!

distinct types, so maybe it's a nonsense what I've
said.
Another offer for logo - maybe a viking in battle
armor, with horned helmet (= a bull???) and two headed
axe (for hacking ;)). Or maybe even better - maybe a
kid viking? With a huge (for him) helmet and just
lifting an axe? You choose.
me votes for the viking kid - symbolizing a newbie GNUHead Hacker/enthusiast or something like that i personally think this is a very good idea here's a piece from linus's mail as to why he chose a penguin for a logo. ignoring the "penguin" part, i think the logic that he explains ( of using something character-like is a good thing over an abstract logo ) holds good

<quote>

As to why use a penguin as a logo? No good reason, really. But a logo doesn't really ave to _mean_ anything - it's the association that counts. And I can think of many worse things than have linux being associated with penguins.

Having a penguin as a logo also gives more freedom to people wanting to use linux-related material: instead of being firmly fixed with a specific logo (the triangle, or just "Linux 2.0" or some other abstract thing), using something like a penguin gives people the chance to make modifications that are still recognizable.

So you can have a real live penguin on a CD cover, for example, and people will get the association. Or you can have a penguin that does something specific (a Penguin writing on wordperfect for the WP Linux CD, whatever - you get the idea).

Compare that to a more abstract logo (like the windows logo - it's not a bad logo in itself). You can't really do anything with a logo like that. It just "is".

Anyway, go to "http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/"; <http://www.isc.tamu.edu/%7Elewing/linux/> for some nice examples..

Linus

</quote>

--
QOTD:
        "I've always wanted to work in the Federal Mint.  And then go on