dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Re: What I percieve is wrong with IDsec (was IDsec specifica

From: Hans Zandbelt
Subject: Re: [Auth]Re: What I percieve is wrong with IDsec (was IDsec specification draft)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:06:42 +0100

John,

At 18:14 1/5/2002 -0600, John wrote:
>If "oneself" is you, Hans, or myself;  then I could agree that each of
>us could trust "oneself". Will I say the same of 90% of the users of
>Passport: the so-called common consumers we are trying to offer an
>alternative to? No, I would be hard put to say they can trust themselves
>to be their own privacy admins.

We have to offer the facilities to make it an easy job for everyone.
Compare it to dial-up networking, which can be pretty hard to configure
if you consider all possible parameters and protocols. However GUI and protocol
improvements have brought it to a point where almost everyone is able to
configure it through wizard-like techniques.

I really think that the difficulties of the ins-and-outs of protocols and
their implementations are independent of the use of it. The average
user does not need understand how credit-card companies secure their data,
how they interoperate with banks, how they handle payments and security.
They just know how to use a credit-card and that they should keep it in a
private place. I my opinion this is similar to IDsec: your profile data
is handled in a secure system that you trust; you just need to securely
store a password to access it.

Hans.

Hans Zandbelt                         address@hidden
Telematica Instituut                     http://www.telin.nl
P.O.Box 589, 7500 AN                   Phone: +31 53 4850445
Enschede, Netherlands                    Fax: +31 53 4850400