dotgnu-auth

[Auth]A comment on terminology

From: Albert Scherbinsky
Subject: [Auth]A comment on terminology
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:10:29 -0500

The term 'Profile Provider' is misleading. I recommend
'Profile Host' as a replacement.  'Profile Provider' implies
that it is the source of the profile data. But, of course, a
Profile Host only hosts the profile, the owner of the data
'Provides' the data.

The term 'Content Provider' is restrictive. I recommend
'Service Provider' as a replacement. Although a Service
Provider may merely provide content, the interesting ones
also provide other services.

Profile Host:      Hosts profiles to facilitate remote
access.
Profile Owner:     Owns profile data and controls access to
it.
Service Provider:  Creates and delivers Web Services that
request profile data.

This is the terminology that I intend to use.

Regards,
Albert Scherbinsky
Drop by at: http://members.rogers.com/alberts/

Convenient control of our personal information:
Single Login:
http://members.rogers.com/alberts/single.htm
Simple Interface Markup Language:
http://members.rogers.com/alberts/siml.htm