dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]A real life case in Identity

From: Albert Scherbinsky
Subject: Re: [Auth]A real life case in Identity
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:04:04 -0500

Albert Scherbinsky wrote:
> I don't want an AOL
> Identity. I want to freely exist on the internet and make
> the associations of my choosing. If nothing is done, will
> the Internet end up a collection of Corporate States?

<QUOTE>
Freedom of Association

by Donald J. Boudreaux

Imagine being awakened one morning by a loud knocking on
your door. You stumble downstairs and find your neighbor
standing before you with a friendly smile across his face
and a frightening rifle across his shoulder. Behind him you
see your yard surrounded by a newly built barbed-wire fence.

"Hi!" he says. "You're gonna love me! I've decided to
protect you from undesirable visitors. You can come and go
as you please, but don't worry: I'll screen your visitors
for you."

You can't believe your ears. "This is a bizarre dream," you
think to yourself. You rub your eyes only to find your
neighbor, his gun, and his fence still before you.

"What are you talking about?!" You're too flummoxed to think
clearly.

"Look, neighbor," comes the reply. "You and your family are
decent folks who want to associate only with other decent
folks, right? Well, I have an uncanny ability to distinguish
desirable people from undesirables. I'm doing you the favor
of ensuring that only desirable people are permitted onto
your property."

Gaining your senses, you answer carefully: "Listen, I don't
know what kind of mind-altering substance you're on, but
take yourself, your gun, and your fence from here
immediately. I'm quite capable on my own to determine whom I
do and do not associate with. I don't need or appreciate you
prescreening for me the people whom I allow onto my
property. So scram, you buffoon! And mind your own
business."

No doubt the details of your own conversation with such an
officious neighbor would differ from the fictional
conversation above. But surely the substance would convey
the same message. You wouldn't tolerate someone else
exercising the authority to screen the people you associate
with.
</QUOTE>

Isn't Microsoft Passport like the buffoon in this story,
predetermining the organizations that you should associate
with?

Regards,
Albert Scherbinsky
Drop by at: http://members.rogers.com/alberts/

Convenient control of our personal information:
Single Login:
http://members.rogers.com/alberts/single.htm
Simple Interface Markup Language:
http://members.rogers.com/alberts/siml.htm