dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]A comment on terminology

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Auth]A comment on terminology
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:34:59 -0500

I think the change in terminology is a little more helpful too.

Hans Zandbelt wrote:

At 11:30 1/8/2002 -0500, Albert Scherbinsky wrote:

It is possible to separate the profile hosting and
management functions.
So we get the following definitions:

Profile Host:     Hosts profiles to facilitate remote
access.
Profile Manager:  Software that enforces user defined access
policies on profile requesters.

This allows for architectures where the Profile Owner is
completely paranoid and wants to run their own Profile
Manager and access their Profile from a remotely accessible
Profile Host where the Profile is completely opaque to such
a Profile Host. It also allows for less paranoid Profile
Owners who are prepared to trust another organization to
both Host and Manage their Profile.

If one were to use the term Profile Manager without
reference to a Profile Host it could be assumed that the
Profile Manager and Profile Host were one and the same,
allowing you to use the term 'Profile Manager' in the same
way that you now use 'Profile Provider'.

Agreed.

I'm updating the IDsec specification, which I have
transformed into an Internet Draft that I intend to publish
this week.

Hans.