dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Re: What I percieve is wrong with IDsec (was IDsec specifica

From: Hans Zandbelt
Subject: Re: [Auth]Re: What I percieve is wrong with IDsec (was IDsec specification draft)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:15:59 +0100

David,

At 08:56 1/6/2002 -0500, David Sugar wrote:
>That vendors and others would unfortunately still attempt to pray upon users
>is something that will be attempted regardless of who holds the information.
>That much we cannot solve but I agree we should not abet.
>
>Yes, IDsec does permit, even, to some degree, activily encourages the
>existance of "trusted" third parties to hold users personal data.  This has
>both good and bad aspects and largely depends on who and how it is deployed.
>In this respect, it certainly does have risks if it came into widespread use.
>Certainly that same fact that commercial providers can host user profiles is
>both it's greatest strength for it makes it appealing to commercial entities
>to adopt, and it's weekness in that some of those same commercial entities
>will certainly try to take advantage of it and users as you suggest.  Is
>several dozen tyrranies any better than one?  In this I agree the answer is no.

We have to keep in mind here that it is all a matter of trust: if you don't
trust
a Profile Provider, you don't store your profile with that Profile Provider. If
you
don't trust a Content Provider, you won't give him access to your data. In my
opinion
if a Content Provider abuses your trust, you should have known better; there's
no system that can prevent this. The system can only enforce access policies.

>Perhaps I take the optimistic view on IDsec, and I think the question is very
>much worth debate and further discussion.  I have wanted to see more
>discussion on IDsec and other proposals for quite some time now. Our goal is
>not to simply say "this is what DotGNU identity is, take it or leave it", but
>to arrive at the most correct and ethical solution that is technically
>feasable thru consensus.  I happen to like IDsec because, while not

I agree completely. I don't want to push IDsec as a full DotGNU identity
solution; I just
think that it is a good basis to start from; I think it is a "natural" solution
to the
identity problem.

> perfect, it exists, it can be demonstrated, and it has potential, when used
> correctly, to achieve our goals.  Of course, it certainly can also be
> abused....

About the code: I'm having trouble to get to code to Savannah because it uses
Sun JDK classes, which are not GPL compatible. I need to make changes to make
it compile under Kaffe, but I don't have the time to do it yet...

Hans.

Hans Zandbelt                         address@hidden
Telematica Instituut                     http://www.telin.nl
P.O.Box 589, 7500 AN                   Phone: +31 53 4850445
Enschede, Netherlands                    Fax: +31 53 4850400