dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]A comment on terminology

From: Hans Zandbelt
Subject: Re: [Auth]A comment on terminology
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:14:56 +0100

At 11:30 1/8/2002 -0500, Albert Scherbinsky wrote:
>It is possible to separate the profile hosting and
>management functions.
>So we get the following definitions:
>
>Profile Host:     Hosts profiles to facilitate remote
>access.
>Profile Manager:  Software that enforces user defined access
>policies on profile requesters.
>
>This allows for architectures where the Profile Owner is
>completely paranoid and wants to run their own Profile
>Manager and access their Profile from a remotely accessible
>Profile Host where the Profile is completely opaque to such
>a Profile Host. It also allows for less paranoid Profile
>Owners who are prepared to trust another organization to
>both Host and Manage their Profile.
>
>If one were to use the term Profile Manager without
>reference to a Profile Host it could be assumed that the
>Profile Manager and Profile Host were one and the same,
>allowing you to use the term 'Profile Manager' in the same
>way that you now use 'Profile Provider'.

Agreed.

I'm updating the IDsec specification, which I have
transformed into an Internet Draft that I intend to publish
this week.

Hans.

Hans Zandbelt                         address@hidden
Telematica Instituut                     http://www.telin.nl
P.O.Box 589, 7500 AN                   Phone: +31 53 4850445
Enschede, Netherlands                    Fax: +31 53 4850400