Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU - Four important areas

From: Myrddian
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU - Four important areas
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:24:24 +1000

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:04:33AM +0200, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > > We should really get someone on board who is knowledgeable about
> > > java bytecode, and who can yell us whether it makes sense to
> > > expand Java bytecode to add the functionality we need (not only
> > > Bonobo support but also support for transaction logging and
> > > roll-back.)
>
> Myrddian replied:
>
> > Also the Bytecode should not be "aware" of transaction logins,
> > is assembly aware of Network problems? Adding this sort of
> > functionality on the Bytecode level complicates and produces
> > problems.
>
> I agree.  What I meant is that at the Bytecode level, "DotGNU
> system calls" (or whatever) need to be available that give
> access to those parts of the needed functionality where the
> implementation should reasonably take into consideration
> pecularities of the underlying OS.

Oh ok, coool I gotcha now :)

I thought of that earlier actually, I was going to propose a POSIX like system
calls
Also what we need to think is how to we define basic data types?

void, char, int, float, long, double that sort of stuff
Is it little-endian or big-endian?

I havent payed much attention to these issues lately I have my mind working on
other
things at the moment.

Myrddian <address@hidden(nospam)au>
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house
 and four people died".

                   -- Steven Wright