Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:05:07 -0400

I was not aware that there was any issue which prevented Apache modules from being GPL'd, or, if nessisary, GPL'd with a specific exception clause/priviledge that allows it to be linked with/loaded into Apache. In fact, I think some are distributed under the GPL, unless I am mistaken...

David

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

David Sugar wrote:

I am not at all personally apposed to working with free software that fully
meets the full definition of free software, even if it does not retain that
freedom the way the GPL does, so long as our contributions remain under the
GPL.  That being said, it would be nice if the main competition for web
servers were entirely between free software packages.

There are strategic reasons for why it would be worthwhile to integrate with
Apache; that is anything that favors and further encourages the use of a free
software solution over a proprietary one is of benefit to users everywhere.
If we were debating treating different free solutions fairly and equally that
is fine, but if we have a chance to further promote an existing free solution
over proprietary ones and choose not to, I think that would be a mistake.

David

Agreed, but we should maintain flexibility.  If we make an Apache module
and that module can't be GPL'ed - we'd do well to make a wrapper module
that calls a GPL'ed program of some sort.  Obviously, the details of
such a model would have to be worked out as the project moved on, but I
think that we should leverage other license types that fit the OSD only
to the extent that it is absolutely necessary.

        -Barry