Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:33:55 -0400

I am not at all personally apposed to working with free software that fully meets the full definition of free software, even if it does not retain that freedom the way the GPL does, so long as our contributions remain under the GPL. That being said, it would be nice if the main competition for web servers were entirely between free software packages.

There are strategic reasons for why it would be worthwhile to integrate with Apache; that is anything that favors and further encourages the use of a free software solution over a proprietary one is of benefit to users everywhere. If we were debating treating different free solutions fairly and equally that is fine, but if we have a chance to further promote an existing free solution over proprietary ones and choose not to, I think that would be a mistake.

David

Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:

Jeremy Petzold wrote:

well, the only web server that works across multiple
platforms, period AFAIK, is apache. I am quite
satisfied with apache and their licence as to not want
to create a new wbserver just to have a GPL'd one.
also, the only web browser that is cross platform
AFAIK is Mozilla, and again, I am quite happy with its
licence to not build one from ground up or port Konq
(which may be possable).

what do you all think?

The only thing I can say is that the FSF is not entirely happy with the
Apache License. As I have mentioned to Brad, I dont have any personal
problem with it... but since we are working under the GNU umbrella, I
think we need to avoid building our code to be tied to Apache. Meaning
not building Apache modules, and instead having our code run as cgi
scripts.

If we want to build an apache module I think we should check with reps
from the FSF about thier opinion on that.

Seek3r