Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:11:13 -0400

David Sugar wrote:

> I am not at all personally apposed to working with free software that fully
> meets the full definition of free software, even if it does not retain that
> freedom the way the GPL does, so long as our contributions remain under the
> GPL.  That being said, it would be nice if the main competition for web
> servers were entirely between free software packages.
>
> There are strategic reasons for why it would be worthwhile to integrate with
> Apache; that is anything that favors and further encourages the use of a free
> software solution over a proprietary one is of benefit to users everywhere.
> If we were debating treating different free solutions fairly and equally that
> is fine, but if we have a chance to further promote an existing free solution
> over proprietary ones and choose not to, I think that would be a mistake.
>
> David

Agreed, but we should maintain flexibility.  If we make an Apache module
and that module can't be GPL'ed - we'd do well to make a wrapper module
that calls a GPL'ed program of some sort.  Obviously, the details of
such a model would have to be worked out as the project moved on, but I
think that we should leverage other license types that fit the OSD only
to the extent that it is absolutely necessary.

        -Barry