Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Basic software that is going to be needed
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:09:54 -0400

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 27 Jul 2001 02:05:16 +0500, meson wrote:
> IMO, if you want DotGNU to get wide spead adoption, it will have to work
> with what people already have.  (And not forcing them to use our
> version of the browser, web server, etc.)
>
> If they use IE, then we need to make something that works with IE.  (A
> plug-in, an ActiveX component, or whatever.)  If they use Apache, then
> we need to make something that works with Apache.  (An Apache module
> probably.)
>
> And this will probably mean that alot of this stuff will have to
> be LGPLed (instead of GPLed).
>
> See ya
>
>      Charles Iliya Krempeaux

Well, any holes that we can find to get something GPL'ed should be
used.  Obviously, for linked libraries, our strategy will depend on the
library.  But, for applications and tools, any non-GPL'ed work should be
limited and small in scope.  We don't want everyone's favorite industry
killing proprietary monopoly using our own work against us, now do we?

Incidentally, your astute observations about market share are also a
good reason to ignore creating GPL'ed web servers/browsers/etc... for
the purposes of dotGNU at this time.

        -Barry