Re: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:44:41 -0800 (PST)

--- S11001001 <address@hidden> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > The issue with soap is that you can link from any
> non
> > gpled to gpled.
>
> There's a fine line between execution and
> linking...
Sure, I mixed the term up, fair enough.

Remote Invokation via a transport.
But I mean link to a programming language stub, via a
package that is created specifically for the calling
of that function remotly.

Link in the sense of binding.
The binding to type, style and semantics of the
function parameters.

The layout of memory as dictated by the interface that
the function conforms to.
A /dev/sndstat file can be read from, but in one way
you are linking to it......

>I always found it strange
> that although a prop. prog couldn't call functions
> directly from GPL, it could
> just add an extra layer to accomplish the effect,
> namely a libc exec() call.
> This is extremely soft distinction.

Yes, it is fair to point out that you always have to
consider to issue of dependancy, derived works and
distribution.
If you make a exec call to a gpled code, and only that
prog provides that service, and the function is so
complex that you have many dependancies on it, Are you
creating a derived work?
At least that is answer that I gleamed from my
research.
Linkage is an indication of a deriviation, but intent
is also important, the judge will decide what is
really a derived work.

With the GPL Issue, we all reminded that it will be
decided int court, and I am not a lawyer.
but who is taking who to court?
And as hackers, why would we be taken to court?

> I think it may be a possibility, albeit dangerous,
> to go for GPL v3 to address
> these new concerns.
Hmmm. can you please give me an URL to that?

> I do understand exactly what you
> are saying here.
Many people do.

mike