new version of GPL? (was Re: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC)

From: S11001001
Subject: new version of GPL? (was Re: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:58:05 -0600

James Michael DuPont wrote:
--- S11001001 <address@hidden> wrote:
I think it may be a possibility, albeit dangerous,
to go for GPL v3 to address
these new concerns.
Hmmm. can you please give me an URL to that?

From the GPL ((C) 1989, 1991 FSF Inc.)

BEGINQUOTE

9. The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new versions of the General Public License from time to time. Such new versions will be similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in detail to address new problems or concerns.

Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the Program specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions either of that version or of any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. If the Program does not specify a version number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation.

ENDQUOTE

The current version is of course 2; there is no v3. I gather that v2 has been around for ~11 years now, and has not had problems yet. However, the key phrase here is "address new problems or concerns," one of which may very well be the topic of this thread. However, as I said, [going to a new version] is a little extreme.
--
Are Linux users lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?