Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:56:49 +1000

Adam Treat wrote:

> Right now, the relationship between Mono and pnet is a one-way
> street, ie pnet can borrow Mono's code, but Mono can not borrow pnet's.
> That's fine, since they are under different licenses, but to insinuate that
> you'd change the license in exchange for Mono giving something up...

I never meant to imply that.  I'm not so niave as to think
that I can hold Mono to ransom like that.  In fact, I was
perfectly willing to re-license DateTime, but no one in
authority asked me the right question.

For me, it is about division of labour and mutal respect.
Licenses can be negotiated.

Let's say DotGNU starts to build some C# class library
that could be used by both projects, that neither have
at the moment.  I don't want to wake up the next day
to discover that Mono now has its own version, with
an incompatible set of interfaces, and doesn't need us
any more.

i.e. I want some assurances that if we agree to help
you on new work, you agree not to undermine the result,
leaving us out in the cold.  And vice versa.  Talk to us.

If we don't have this assurance, how can we stop things
degenerating into two armed camps with incompatible
infrastructure constantly sniping at each other?  i.e.
the situation we currently have.