Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Rodrigo Moya
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: 21 Mar 2002 00:12:45 +0100

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 17:52, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> (I'm trying to mediate between Rhys and Lupus)

I just speak for myself, not for ximian :-)

> Paolo Molaro <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > It makes the co-operation mutually reinforcing, because
> > > each party needs the other to survive.  But from what
> >
> > Two people that can't swim makes two people dead.
> > I happen to think cooperation makes sense if all the parties involved
> > are willing to do it for the best of each other and not because they are
> > forced to do it. It's clear we have two different views: we want
> > cooperation and you want control.
>
> No... I think you misunderstood something there.  When DotGNU
> uses Mono's higher-level C# class libs, then (as long as we
> don't fork them) the Mono project has some degree of control of
> those libs.  This "control" isn't a huge practical issue as long
> as Mono wants to cooperate with DotGNU, especially since if it
> really should happen that there is a problem that cannot be
> resolved cooperatively, then it's still possible to fork. It's
> free software after all!!!  The reason why people still care
> about this "control" even when it's not of great practical
> importance is that it is also a matter of who gets public
> recognition etc.
>
> Rhys doesn't like the situation where Mono gets some of this
> "control" over an essential piece that we're using, while we
> don't have any similar "control" over anything that Mono is
> using.
>
> I believe that I can understand Rhys' frustration with this
> kind of situation.  (Those who can't should perhaps be invited
> to walk in his shoes for a month or two :-)

I still don't understand it, sorry :-( That is, I am developing gnome-db
(http://www.gnome-db.org), and depend, as people depend on oxygen, on
Bonobo. That is, any change in Bonobo affects me. Should I, in this
case, ask the Bonobo maintainers to depend on gnome-db so that I've got
the same control over Bonobo than Bonobo has over gnome-db?

Of course, I am not saying gnome-db/bonobo is the same situation as
DotGNU/Mono. But I understand this as something similar to this idea. If
I'm wrong, please correct me and explain me again why you need that
control. As you said, it's free software after all, so if there is a
good cooperation between all people, there is no need whatsoever for
this control over each other.

cheers
--
Rodrigo Moya <address@hidden> - <address@hidden>