Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:16:09 +0100

> > The position here is that you can copy our code, but we can't copy
> > yours, so it's not our call to make. If we can't reuse pnet's code
> > we'll have to write our own.
> This is new to me, can you please elaborate?

I think the point is that the Mono's C# class libs are no longer
(L)GPL'd, but rather under the MIT X11 license now.

I don't see this as a huge obstacle.  Given that we intend to
use (the higher-level parts of) Mono's C# class libs, I think
it's pretty clear that we should be willing to help out Mono
upon request when they see something that they'd like to use,
by making it available to Mono under the terms of that license.

However the request should come from a Ximian employee or some
officially appointed Mono representative -- it would be against
our principles to make our code available under non-copyleft
terms to anyone for no good reason.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member