Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here

From: Matthew C. Tedder
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:03:39 -0800

Yes... However, many are likely to view "Free Software" and "Open Source" as
the licenses, not the movements untill you begin changing context in the
discussion.

I think it would be more prudant to say "Free Software Movement" or "Open
Source Movement" when that is, in fact, what we are discussing.

Clarity of terms is much too often an issue among these two, overlapping
communities.  Why do we say "Free Software", for example, when we could more
clearly say something like "Freed Software"?  I think that some slight
modifications to these kind of terms often eliminate the mass and repetitive
confusion so many have, so frequently.

--Matthew