Re: Linus Torvalds's beliefs (was Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what

From: Matthew C. Tedder
Subject: Re: Linus Torvalds's beliefs (was Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:59:21 -0800

> Matthew C. Tedder wrote:
> > Yes... But I like Linus.  He believes in Free Software
> > but just doesn't judge the beliefs of others.
> Actually, I get the feeling that the only reason Torvalds likes Free
Software
> is because it's `inconvenient' to not be able to copy/modify/redistribute.
> That's what I got from the book "Just for Fun", anyway. The closest he got
> moral issues was talking about the "Linux" trademark issue, and a $10
million
> offer he turned down.
>
> If Torvalds didn't think he was just playing around when writing Linux,
would
> he have still made it Free? I cannot answer that question.

Linus has consistently made comments and taken actions that illustrate is
support for Open Source principles--but not much in the way of
the Free Software Movement.  Not much doesn't mean none.  It's true
he's clearly more interested in the technical aspects/advantageous of
using OSS.........but he clearly stated that he feels Free Software
principles are superior  (No I can't reference the specific speeches
I have in memory at the moment...not enough mental energy).

My understanding is that even though he believes in the superiority of
the Free Software philosophy, he's very passive with those who
would not fully agree.  And, he seems very simple in that for him,
the practical aspects of Free Software--and OSS--are important
to him.  Because he is more a practical person in daily life than
he is philosophical....  Which I respect very much.

As per his work....welll...Frankly...  He has
to eat.  Even I write non-free software for that reason.  It's not
exactly a choice and Linus isn't rich, either.

I certainly do look forward to the day that practical necessity would allow
me to write purely free software....and I do so as often as I can.