Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:17:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Matthew C. Tedder wrote:

> Do you argue Linus must attack others to be morally OK?  Yes, we
> should fight for the social change you speak of, but some will be soldiers
> and others laborers... I think everyone has his/her different areas in which
> to contribute.  I view Linus as a laborer--and a good one at that.

My personal views of Linus (I attacked Linus.  I don't think that Richard
did.) exist because of comments that I've read from him claiming -
essentially - that idealistic people are idiots.  I think that that is a
foolish claim and - being an idealistic person - I take offense at it.  I
think that there's a problem when our 'poster-child' takes public negative
stances against Free Software ideology.  It's not that Linus has to
believe in it or anything of the sort.  Linus can do whatever he likes.
My opinion of him is my own - I don't speak for anybody else on it.  :)

Let's end this discussion soon.  It's starting to get a bit OT for this
list.  We can continue it elsewhere if that works for those involved.

        -Barry