Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe: Us

From: David Bradley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe: User Interfaces)
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:17:13 -0400

Timothy Rue wrote:

Personally I think trying to clone the "enemy" is inherently flawed at the
very core or conception level.  But enough people have shown interest in
doing it that the dotgnu effort exist.

I've wondered why GNU didn't come up with a better technology than .Net. Surely with the diverse background of the people involved, something could be created.

I'd like to think it's something along the humanitarian economy depicted
in some of the star trek series within the "earth" settings (not the
frengi settings.)

The problem with the Star Trek society, is the question of who enjoys being a janitor? How would you feel if "society" dictated that you don't have enough smarts, so instead of going to star fleet academy you'll be washing toilets. And this is one of the problems I've seen of free software. No one seems to want to spend the time to polish it. Crank out the core fun technology then move onto the next fun project. So how does a "free" society create some incentive for quality of implementation?

proprietary control. Certainly thru genuine software engineering science
we will be able to make breakthroughs that put software development ease
at a level that the general user can find the time and respources needed
for them to do things for themselves.

You obviously haven't met a lot of users ;-). Most users can't explain what they want to do to me in English, much less communicate that in any form to a computer. It takes a lot of questioning and an intuitiveness on my part to figure out what they want to do. If given something as advanced as the Enterprises computer, they'd be hard pressed to instruct the computer to do some task. Sure there are users out there that can do this, but the majority, in my experience, can't.

David Bradley