[DotGNU]DotGNU vs .NET (was Re: flexible for users, or...) User Interfac

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]DotGNU vs .NET (was Re: flexible for users, or...) User Interfaces)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:38:23 +0200

> Timothy Rue wrote:
>
> >Personally I think trying to clone the "enemy" is inherently flawed at the
> >very core or conception level.  But enough people have shown interest in
> >doing it that the dotgnu effort exist.

DotGNU is _not_ about cloning .NET ... we're planning
quite a few things that have no counterpart in .NET ...
and if you look at phpGroupWare you'll see that some
(relatively small) parts of that kind are already
available and useable.

David Bradley replied:

> I've wondered why GNU didn't come up with a better technology than .Net.
> Surely with the diverse background of the people involved, something
> could be created.

You don't get something better by deciding to ignore
technological advances made by proprietary software
companies.  The way to go is to do two things:

(a) Make something similar to the good parts of what they
    create, while improving on it as we go along.

(b) Make good things that don't exist in proprietary
    software yet.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member