Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe: Us

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe: User Interfaces)
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 17:11:42 -0500

Boris Kolar wrote:
I've wondered why GNU didn't come up with a better technology than .Net.
Surely with the diverse background of the people involved, something
could be created.

I strongly support the idea to create something better than C#/.net. I think we
need to move forward and create more powerfull
language(s) than c++/java/c#, and advanced network operating system.

I have some ideas about the language and the OS. The language is extremly
simple and powerfull (more powerfull than C++ or Eiffel) -
I'll share details when I put (still rapidly changing) ideas in writing. And
once we have the language, OS should be written in it.

I share a quote from Stroustrup:

"C has its problems, but a language designed from scratch would have some too, and we know C's problems."

This is why it's better to start with the CLI (stop calling it .NET! .NET is a marketing term. CLI is the system DG supports), find its weak spots, and patch them, than to design something from scratch.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

This societal shift is letting users take back control of their
futures. Just as the Magna Carta gave rights to British subjects, the
GPL enforces consumer rights and freedoms on behalf of the users of
computer software.
        -- Evan Leibovitch, "Who's Afraid of Big Bad Wolves"