Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe:User

From: Timothy Rue
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe:User Interfaces)
Date: 12 Jul 2002 8:24:39 -0500

I had ment for the following to go to the list, but hit the wrong button
causing it not to be cc'd to the list.

Generally there is this growing issue I have with the DRM/IP constraints
musceling in on what is otherwise the territory of open for creativity
and innovation machinery of computer versatility. I'd rather there be a
clear line drawn between these two opposing idealologies so that I don't
waste my time in frustration trying to figure out what works, doesn't
work in doing creative and innovative things.

It's not and should't be a complex issue, but rather a clear and distinct
line. And mostly, a matter of being creatrively and innovatively
productive. If all I chose to have access to is GPL type of stuff, then
more GPL stuff will get made. But If I have ti dig thru and try to figure
out what of what part of what thing I might be able to use....

Extensions licensings.......Better safe than sorry....and it's just text.
So use the the license that is clear and distinctly GPL in nature and
essence.

On 11-Jul-02 08:54:55 David Bradley <address@hidden> wrote:
 DB> BioChem333 wrote:

>>On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 07:32, David Bradley wrote:
>>

>>people to migrate from .NET to DotGNU. Hopefully, we'll have some
>>nice extensions to it that will complicate the reverse process too;
>>GNU extensions are always nice. :)
>>

 DB> That's interesting. The articles I've been reading have been
 DB> critical of  Mono and dotGNU success because they're afraid MS
 DB> will add extensions  that will become commonly used but, not part
 DB> of the standard. So is it  bad when Microsoft does this, but ok
 DB> when GNU or Mono does this? I  thought this was why Sun was
 DB> jumping all over Microsoft because they  added some extensions to
 DB> their JVM?

 DB> I'm not against adding extensions, but it appears to be a concern
 DB> of  many. I think people can make informed decisions on whether
 DB> to use them  or not. We've been doing it for ages in C and C++.

 DB> David Bradley

Make it a non issue by making it possble for more people to more easily
make up their own custom (perhaps industry and field specific) extensions.

Then the matter comes down to Freedom..... Use .net and not be allowed to
share your work GPL'd with others, should you so wish. Or have a fuller
range of choice of what you might do that includes GPL and the
improvements upon your work, others might do.

Who do you think would win in such a simple difference?

I really do think that the biggest generator of fear is fear itself. Let
go of the source of the initial fear and the fear will vanish into the
nothingness from which it came. In this case it came from Bill Gates
yelling "Piracy" many many years ago, over people learning and debugging
his BASIC code port, for the Altair.

---
Timothy Rue
Email @ mailto:address@hidden