Re: master a30781399b3: * subr-x (eval-command-interactive-spec): New fu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master a30781399b3: * subr-x (eval-command-interactive-spec): New function.
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 14:59:40 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 12:10:05 +0100
>
> > In the future, please always accompany user-visible changes with
> > suitable changes to one or both of our manuals, to make sure the
> > manuals are kept up-to-date at all times.
>
> I know to do this in general, but in this case the new function is in
> subr-x, and my understanding was that functions in that file are not to
> be documented in any manuals.  Are you suggesting I move it to subr.el?

My primary concern is about documenting useful features.  In which
files to put the implementation is secondary, from my POV.  We don't
need to be 110% consistent in this regard, btw.

> Regarding NEWS, CONTRIBUTE says
>
>   There is no need to mention files such as NEWS and MAINTAINERS, or to
>   indicate regeneration of files such as 'lib/gnulib.mk', in the
>   ChangeLog entry.  "There is no need" means you don't have to, but you
>   can if you want to.
>
> Should that text perhaps be updated?

Why? the last sentence already covers my request, doesn't it?

> > As for the name of the new function: what do people think about
> > renaming it to eval-interactive-spec?  I don't think we need the
> > "command" part.
>
> In that case, what would we rename advice-eval-interactive-spec to, when
> we drop the 'advice-' prefix?

That function exists for quite some time, so renaming it is a much
harder decision.