Re: master a30781399b3: * subr-x (eval-command-interactive-spec): New fu

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: master a30781399b3: * subr-x (eval-command-interactive-spec): New function.
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 12:10:05 +0100

Hello,

On Mon 05 Jun 2023 at 02:40PM +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Thanks for working on this, but please document this new function in
> the ELisp manual.  It is important enough to be mentioned there.
>
> In the future, please always accompany user-visible changes with
> suitable changes to one or both of our manuals, to make sure the
> manuals are kept up-to-date at all times.

I know to do this in general, but in this case the new function is in
subr-x, and my understanding was that functions in that file are not to
be documented in any manuals.  Are you suggesting I move it to subr.el?

> Also, the changeset touches 3 files, but only one of them is mentioned
> in the log message; please avoid this in the future.  (I'm not really
> sure why you needed the change to nadvice.el, FWIW.)

I should have documented the new FIXME, my apologies.

Regarding NEWS, CONTRIBUTE says

  There is no need to mention files such as NEWS and MAINTAINERS, or to
  indicate regeneration of files such as 'lib/gnulib.mk', in the
  ChangeLog entry.  "There is no need" means you don't have to, but you
  can if you want to.

Should that text perhaps be updated?

> As for the name of the new function: what do people think about
> renaming it to eval-interactive-spec?  I don't think we need the
> "command" part.

In that case, what would we rename advice-eval-interactive-spec to, when
we drop the 'advice-' prefix?

--
Sean Whitton