Re: Make window-list return windows for all frames

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Make window-list return windows for all frames
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:03:53 +0200

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>> It is also about the API, perhaps it is just me, but I expected window-list
>> take 't for the frame and consider all frames, because of get-buffer-window
>> doing so.
>>

> The problem I see is that twelve window-related functions (next-window,
> previous-window, window-list-1, get-buffer-window, walk-windows,
> get-window-with-predicate, get-lru-window, get-mru-window, get-largest-window,
> get-buffer-window-list, one-window-p, delete-windows-on) already accept t for
> their ALL-FRAMES argument, together with the symbol 'visible, the number 0,
> and
> a frame.  Why would window-list only accept t?

Then I will agree with you :). Allow frame/all-frames to mean the same in all
places and thus easier to learn/use.

Yes, window-list and window-list-1 becaomes the same, just with arguments in
different order. Could even remove c version of window-list, and implement it as
a call to window-list-1. Less code, less maintanance.